If you’re so inclined to make ’em for your man, here’s the recipe from Martha Stewart’s website:
* 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
* 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
* 6 tablespoons buttermilk
* 1 large egg
* 1 large egg white
* Light Cream-Cheese Icing
* Candy decorations (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard 12-cup muffin tin (or 6-cup muffin tins) with paper liners. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
2. With an electric mixer, combine cocoa and 3 tablespoons hot water until a thick paste forms (this process intensifies the chocolate flavor). Add butter, buttermilk, egg, and egg white; beat until combined. Whisk in flour mixture until smooth.
3. Scoop (or spoon) batter into prepared tin(s). Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. For the light cream-cheese icing:With an electric mixer, beat 3 ounces softened reduced-fat cream cheese and 1 cup confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy. (To make without a mixer, sift sugar before stirring into cream cheese).
5. Use an offset spatula or butter knife to spread icing over tops. Decorate as desired.
(From Everyday Food)